<< Back to Our Attorneys
Print This Page
Kay Cowden Medlin
Kay Cowden Medlin is one of the founding members of the firm. Her practice focuses on natural resources and public utility law, commercial litigation, and mediation. She has done extensive work in settling natural gas contract disputes and drafting natural gas contracts. She has mediation experience in complex commercial litigation, personal injury, employment disputes, real estate, and natural gas issues.
- Appointed to serve on Louisiana Law Institute Committee to study and make recommendations for the revision of the laws pertaining to the expropriation of immovable property by private entities resulting in substantial changes to the laws governing expropriation by pipelines in Louisiana including gas gathering companies.
- Successfully represented a large natural gas producer in negotiations with the State of Louisiana after a State audit challenging deduction of gathering fees from state royalties under the terms of certain state leases.
- Served as a mediator and reached settlement between two large oil and gas companies in a multimillion dollar dispute over ownership of acreage in the Haynesville Shale formation in Northwest Louisiana.
- Represented an independent producer in successfully defeating a claim for free gas under a claim by a lessor under a Texas natural gas lease.
- Successfully defended a large gas gathering company against a landowner challenge in establishing a right of way based on lease and production records.
- Appointed Special Master by Honorable Judge Michael O. Crag, 26th JDC, Bossier Parish, in a concursus suit styled Hawk Field Services, LLC and Petrohawk Energy Corporation v. Mid America Underground, LLC., et al., #130014-A, 26th.
- Approved Mediator and Arbitrator for American Arbitration Association Energy Panel
- Qualified for Louisiana Mediators Registry
- “In Our Own Words: Reflections on Professionalism in the Law”, co-author and associate editor
- Shreveport Best Lawyers® Energy Law Lawyer of the Year, 2012
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2009-2016 - Commercial Litigation, Energy Law, Mediation and Arbitration
- Arkla Energy Marketing Company, vice president and general counsel, 1989-1992
- Louisiana Intrastate Gas Company, general counsel, 1989-1992
- Shreveport Bar Association, Former secretary, Former chairman, Ethics Committee, Former chairman, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee, 2002
- Advisory Council of the Louisiana Mineral Law Institute, former member, 1984-87; 1991-94
- Louisiana State University Law Center Hall of Fame
- Member Board of Directors of Community Support Programs, Inc.
- Former member National Petroleum Council Regulatory and Policy Issues Task Group of the NPC Committee on Natural Gas, member, 1991-1992
- Approved Mediator and Arbitrator for American Arbitration Association Energy Panel, Qualified Mediator under Louisiana Mediators Act
- Louisiana State University Honors College, board of directors
- AV® Peer Review Rating in Martindale-Hubbell; “AV” is the highest possible rating for legal ability and ethical standards
Professional & Civic Associations
- Shreveport Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Federal Energy Bar Association
- American Arbitration Association Energy Panel
- Louisiana State University, J.D., 1977
- Louisiana State University, B.A., 1974